Thursday, February 01, 2007

Cinnamon-ey Brownies? Yes, please!

I've been a little stressed out lately.



Okay, I've been waaaaay stressed out lately.



As a result, I've been making a lot of brownies. And eating a lot of brownies. Which, naturally, compelled me to try to figure out a way to make brownies less unhealthy and more delicious.
Here's the end result:


OVEN 350°
*1/4 cup margarine
*1/4 cup soymilk
*2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
*2 tsp ground cinnamon
*1 cup sugar
*substitute for 1 egg
*3/4 cup flour
*1 tsp baking powder
*1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat your oven, and lightly grease an 8x8inch baking pan. Set aside.
2. Melt the margarine, and add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, soymilk, and sugar. Stir until well-combined.
3. Add the "egg," stir until just combined.
4. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and optional walnuts, until the batter is relatively smooth.
5. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


These come with the Craig and Ursula Seal of Approval, which means they are excellent. Ursula likes them with milk and caramel pudding. Blasphemer.

5 comments:

Sheree' said...

They sound good! Good luck on your move. Sometimes me and my DH talk about moving and then come to our senses. lol We are getting too old to relocate now. haha

Anonymous said...

Carrie - how do you handle the icky way soy milk makes baking things hard as rock? I used it in cooking cornbread the other day, no good. Hard as rock and didn't raise up all nice 'n fluffy either. Robin

Ursula said...

Okay, so that is all well and good that you are leaving, but just realize that leaves me brownieless and neighborless. I might actually have to bake for myself!?!?!? And, who is going to feed BTK? Certainly not us; Craig was devising plans to kill her last night after a harrowing experience trying to bring in the laundry.

C. said...

Robin,
More soymilk? I don't know, I haven't had that problem before. It might be the brand you're using, if it's enriched with protein or something. I just use normal old Silk soymilk, and everything turns out fine.

Ursula,
I'll FedEx you brownies, and kibble for BTK. Somebody's going to have to feed her. God knows she's dependent now.
I wish I could take her with, though. :( But she's crazy, and wouldn't like being taken... Tell Craig not to kill her, it isn't her fault she's deranged. It's probably from a life of excessive face fluff and not enough hippie kibble.

Caty said...

They sound so good. Thanks for the recipe- I can't wait to try them!