Saturday, November 04, 2006

Comfort Casserole

Tyler (my boyfriend) and I pretty much have trouble agreeing on anything. We've been together for most of the last four and half years, and we've been arguing on a near-daily basis since about the second week of dating. We've broken up, seen other people, gotten back together, broken up again, etc etc etc, and now we're wading through the wreckage of our most recent breakup. I think we're both making a conscious effort to regain the faith we've lost in one another, but sometimes it's hard for me not to be crazy. He's home with me every night, and he's been completely honest about the things that got us where we are now, and for some reason I'm having a lot of trouble letting the past go (this is in spite of my own post-breakup indiscretions, also). I know he's trustworthy. The smart, rational, sane half of my brain is screaming "Stop nagging him, you idiot! He hasn't done anything!" However, the damaged, paranoid, and anxious half of my brain is saying "Well, what about this? And what about that? Huh? Whatchoo got to say for that?"

Needless to say, the two halves are waging war on my sense of well-being.

I yelled at him before he left for work today, and now I get to spend the next six hours telling myself what an idiot I am. And so this brings us to today's recipe. It's one of the things Tyler and I agree on, and it really does live up to it's name. God knows we're going to need to the comfort when I'm babbling on to him in an effort to redeem this morning's bad behavior.


OVEN 375°
*2 cups cooked orzo pasta (not quite all the way cooked, that is)
*1 12oz container of vegan sour cream (Sour Supreme works best, I think)
*1 bunch green onions, chopped
*1 to 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
*1 red bell pepper, diced
*1 zucchini, cut into half-moon slices
*1 to 2 cups broccoli, chopped
*some barely steamed chopped spinach (or some frozen spinach)
*2 tbsp granulated garlic
*1 tbsp dried parsley
*1 tbsp dried basil
*salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix everything together, and bake in a 9 x 13" pan for about thirty minutes, or until heated through.
Also, if you're not concerned about fat content, you can put some slivers of margarine on the top before baking to make it all golden brown and wonderful.


Enjoy♥

2 comments:

Ev said...

I'm sorry about your squabbles with Tyler, but on the bright side...you're young. You've got another 60 years of apologizing left in you.

Consider marketing a line of "Vegan Helper" boxed meals, for the contrite vegan without a culinary school background. Consider it a public service. Maybe you can throw in a pair of hemp socks when they buy two boxes or something.

C. said...

I've thought about it, but then I start to think about what I'd have to do to get something like that going and I start to feel like my lungs are flattening themselves against my ribcage.
I'm assuming I won't feel like that forever, though. And the hemp socks do seem like a pretty sweet deal.