Monday, December 11, 2006

An afterthought.

This is my first Christmas without my whole family, and I'm a little bit bummed. I'm trying to carry on my mom's traditions (Christmas Eve jammies, anyone?), but it's definitely not going to be the same. Christmas has always been special in our house. My mom always somehow managed to get us presents, cook us a big dinner, and not kill me when I went to drag her out of bed at six in the morning...even the years that we definitely did not have any money, she still gave us a great holiday. I'm trying to do that for my household now, and it's only in the light of my own struggle with this that I am beginning to really appreciate how hard she's always worked to make every Christmas even better than the last. So, thanks for everything, Mom.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww...you're welcome.
We keep talking about how weird it will be without kids. It's a Christmas tradition to shuffle to the coffeepot in the pre-dawn morning and scowl at children to keep them at bay until the coffee's done.
Who will I scowl at this year? The cats??
Like Mary, the Blessed Mother of Jesus, I'm sending you my only (remaining) child. Please do not crucify her in a fit of holiday Christianity.

I love you. Don't despair. :-)

Christmas is an odd mix of stress and fun. Do the best you can, then let the stress go and enjoy the fun.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your mom's right - you *did* grow up to be a fine, upstanding citizen! Or at least, a VERY good daughter! What a lovely thing to tell a mom on Christmas! Hope things are well w/you and yours Carrie, and I promise I'll try some of your recipes! Robin

Anonymous said...

See Robin? Don't you despair either. Adolescence is brief, and then you get the nice person you always suspected was in there. Of course, you can never control that person again...

But really...when could you?

Ev

Anonymous said...

I suspect this kind of thing takes longer for boys than girls ...

Lori

C. said...

Upstanding, eh?

Don't go spreading that around. It might damage my street cred.

Hahaha.

Anonymous said...

You have street cred??

Mom

C. said...

No.

But I think Tyler might. Maybe it carries over.